Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Oakland Hills Professional

Car: Somewhere between a station wagon and SUV - American
Driver: Oakland Hills Professional
Conversation: Greetings/Goodbyes
Radio: NPR - author of Global finance book

Today's ride was completely uneventful--a nice ride. I should probably take this time to say that most rides are perfectly fine. Frankly, it's hard to fault someone for giving you a free ride to the city, but the reason for this blog is I feel that some are worthy of mention. It's important to point out that even in the worst of situations, I'm glad to have a ride to work. With regards to this blog, bad/interesting/weird rides make for better reading so I probably won't include many of the uneventful ones like today. I just want readers to know that they aren't all bad. Anyway, on to today's ride.

Today I just missed an SUV that probably would have taken three, so I ended up having to wait for a few minutes before another car showed up. When the SUV/station wagon pulled up, I got into the back because I was the first person there (Good Morning!) and another rider soon followed. Once we put on our seat belts, we were on our way.

The driver seemed like a regular guy who has had plenty of experience with the carpool. His fleece sweater and jeans told me he worked for a more casual company, but his blue tooth headset (I hate the way those things look) made me think he had to stay wired in to work. But then again, maybe I just haven't gotten used to the idea of having a little robotic attachment to my ear. Seems a bit Star Trek to me, if you know what I mean. Maybe I'm just not hip.

NPR was playing at a reasonable level from the radio. The guest today was talking about how he worked for the White house as a financial adviser/analyst in foreign war-torn countries like Iraq and Afghanistan. I found the interview to be fairly interesting.

Traffic was bad today, so I felt particularly glad I was part of a carpool as we whizzed by the endless parking lot of cars waiting to get on the bridge. Once on the bridge, it was pretty slow-going, but the roomy SUV/station wagon made the ride comfortable as we came into the city.

We reached the usual drop off point and I got out (Thank you!). I walked to work.

No comments: